Sport Premium and PE
We believe that PE is a vital part of your child's education as it promotes communication, teamwork, healthy competition, physical development, coordination, confidence, decision-making and resilience.
At St. Wilfrid's we are lucky enough to have Mr Brown from our school Sports Partnership in school on Monday mornings, as well as Premier Sport working in our School, teaching P.E. and running a range of lunch time and after school clubs to broaden our children's sporting prowess. Currently we have a Year 5/6 football club running, two dodge ball clubs and Tag Rugby. See the documents at the side for more information.
National Curriculum PE Statement:
The national curriculum for physical education aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities
- Are physically active for sustained periods of time
- Engage in competitive sports and activities
- Lead healthy, active lives.
(Department for Education 2013)
St Wilfrid's School is committed to the following aims:
- To provide a good learning environment for physical activity; to ensure that changing facilities have sufficient space, and are appropriate for the children
- To challenge gender stereotypical beliefs and attitudes and promote positive images of boy/men and girls/women enjoying activity at all levels of achievement; (not just elite performer)
- To ensure that all physical activity is enjoyable and makes a positive contribution to the pupils’ self-confidence and self-esteem;
- To provide all pupils with a varied and positive experience of physical education/activity;
- To cater for the physical needs of all pupils (what ever their age and stage);
- To ensure lunch times are productive periods where activity is encouraged and purposeful;
- To promote an understanding of the benefits of an active life style through the school’s culture which embraces all members of the school community;
- To work in partnership with other agencies to promote activity patterns which are supported by extra-curricular and community activity provision.